Michael H. Jones
Michael H. Jones’s practice covers all aspects of patent law, including patent litigation, post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, patent prosecution, opinions, and counseling.
Mr. Jones has experience in a broad range of technologies, including semiconductor devices and manufacturing, integrated circuits, hardware and protocols for wireless communications, digital media and storage, financial trading systems, online search technology and business analytics, electro-mechanical systems, and Internet-based commerce and security software.
Additionally, Mr. Jones has experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and in overseeing the prosecution of foreign counterpart applications. Mr. Jones’s prosecution practice has concentrated on systems and hardware for wireless communications, integrated circuits, and renewable energy processes and devices.
Mr. Jones first joined Rothwell Figg as a law clerk and worked at the firm while attending The George Washington University Law School. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Jones received a Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Virginia, where he conducted research in the fields of micro-electro-mechanical system (MEMS),
Mr. Jones has litigated a variety of patent matters in district courts throughout the country. Representative cases include:
- Nichia Corporation v. Everlight Electronics Co., Ltd. et al., No. 2:13-cv-702 JRG (E.D. Tex.
- Cyberfone Sys., LLC v. CNN Interactive Group et al., C.A. No. 11-831 (SLR) (D. Del.
- Cypress Semiconductor Corp. v. LG Electronics, Inc. et al., No. 4:13-CV-04034-SBA (N.D. Cal.)
- Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated v. International Securities Exchange, LLC, No. 1:13-cv-01339-JMF (S.D.N.Y)
- Patent Harbor LLC v. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC et al., No. 6:10-cv-00607-LED (E.X. Tex.)
- Illinois Computer Research, LLC v. Harper Collins Publishers, Inc. et al., No. 1:10-cv-9124 (KBF) (S.D.N.Y)
Mr. Jones has also represented clients in a number of inter partes reviews, Covered Business Method proceedings, and interferences before the United States Patent Office. Representative cases include:
- International Securities Exchange, LLC v. Chicago Board Options Exchange, Incorporated, Cases CBM2013-00049, -00050, & -00051, and IPR2014-00097 & -00098
- Field v. Hyatt, Interference No. 105,951
- LG Electronics, Inc. v. Cypress Semiconductor Corp., Cases IPR2014-01405, -01396, -01386, -01302, -01342, & -01343
- Facebook, Inc., LinkedIn Corp., and Twitter, Inc. v. Software Rights Archive, LLC, Cases IPR2013-00478, -00479, -00480, & -00481
Professional Affiliations, Honors & Recognition
Washington, DC Super Lawyers "Rising Star" (2017-2019)