James R. Hastings
James Hastings has more than twenty years of experience representing corporate and entrepreneurial brand owners in all facets of trademark law and brand protection. Previously. he served as inhouse counsel to a well-known U.S. catalog and ecommerce retailer. He is author of the online publication, Trademark Opposition Lawyer — a digital guide about contested proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Mr. Hastings is an approved mediator of the International Trademark Association Panel of Mediators, an alternative dispute resolution forum with approximately 150 mediators worldwide. His insight on trademark law has been solicited by and featured in Corporate Counsel, Bloomberg BNA, Law.com, and other national legal publications.
Mr. Hastings has worked with a wide variety of consumer, health, and technology brand clients over the years in the protection and enforcement of their trademark and intellectual property portfolios. Representative matters include:
- Management of U.S. trademark portfolio of national retailer, including trademark clearance and registration
- Representation of mid-west regional health system against national health insurance company in trademark infringement action in U.S. District Court
- Counsel for Canadian carpool HOV-lane technology solutions company regarding IP portfolio protection
- Representation of publicly-traded gene therapy company in opposition proceedings before the TTAB
- Advise ecommerce company on trademark and direct marketing law compliance and protection
- Represented nationwide road-rally race in trademark opposition proceeding against well-known energy drink company
- Counsel to fantasy sport gaming service in action against major collegiate sport association before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Represented international watch manufacturer in successful defense of action brought under the Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA)
Areas of Concentration
Publications & Presentations
Mr. Hastings lectures regularly at industry events on the topics of trademark, direct marketing and e-commerce law. He has been a featured webinar speaker for The Knowledge Group, a leading continuing legal education company for legal professionals.
Professional Affiliations, Honors & Recognition
Mr. Hastings is an approved mediator of the International Trademark Association Panel of Mediators, an alternative dispute resolution forum with approximately 150 mediators worldwide.